Pages

Friday 27 May 2011

Mahatma Gandi

It's not every day I find myself quoting Gandi but, as it's Friday, here goes,

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness."

Good isn't it? I wish I'd said it. Even if I had nobody would be quoting me. I came across it the other day here;


It was in a sample pack of organic wadding.

I've searched for organic wadding for a long time. It's about, but at ridiculous prices in the UK. American firms stock it but the cost of shipping pushes the price up to UK levels. Not much use if you're trying to get a business off the ground. I'd almost given up when I did one last search and, thank you Google, I found it.

Not in America or some exclusive, expensive, supplier in the UK. No. In Wales, of all places. Machynlleth. Known to the locals as Mach. Somewhere I used to drive through frequently in my previous life.

I sent them an email. They sent me a sample - perfect. I ordered a roll and it came the next day. Efficiency!



I've been so caught up with the fruitless demands of Etsy that I hadn't opened it. To tell you the truth I've been I little bit scared of it.

The other night I left a comment on Arcady's site. In the comment was a slightly, disparaging remark about her corn snake. I don't really like snakes. That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was opening up my lovely organic wadding and there was a snake inside it. My own fault,

1)  I should have opened up my parcel way before now. Procrastinating again.

2) I should have been nicer about Arcady's snake. I'm sure she loves it.

3) Get treatment for my phobia!

Today has been fine and dry and I felt brave. A good day for opening up a parcel outside. I couldn't do it inside - the snake might escape!

Armed with a pair of scissors and two trusty cats I opened it up. Guess what? No snake. Just a roll of lovely sumptuous organic wadding wrapped up in parchment paper. Parchment paper. Not plastic. How cool is that? Mahatma would be proud.


It also came with its own certification which is something you need if you want Soil Association registration.


Thank you Phil and everybody at Organic Cotton . They're lovely people who send you lovely things. But not snakes!

(Personally I blame Arcady)

No comments: