Pages

Friday 22 July 2011

Take one a day

Day 22

I'd like to explain how I find it difficult to draw. I cannot get the right angles, space, form or whatever you talented people from Etsian Artists call the ability to get it right. I hope by admitting this I'm not going to be thrown out of the team!

The team members have been so supportive during this self imposed challenge that when all this is over I'll devote a post to them.  ElizabethSteve and Kris leave almost daily comments. It's good to know that there are people out there willing me on.

Today I have tried to draw and then embroider.


I can not draw birds at all - or cats, dogs, faces .... It would have helped if I'd used linen or cotton but 14 count Aida is not easy to work curves in.  I think I'll add a few berries too. That's to remind me how the rowan berries in my garden used to looked.


July 6


                                                                                      July 22


The same bunch with just a solitary berry left! To make matters worse this is my neighbour's tree


Posie and Dizz or now officially sacked as blackbird scarers!

Listed today  red, white and blue crochet bunting on Folksy.


My Folksy July Jewel is this gorgeous swallow brooch from  Silk Purse, Sow's Ear. It's so finely marked for an item made from brass. I love its rich colour.


Now that the rain has stopped I can see the swallows are still in the sky. That means summer's not over yet. Hurray!!!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you do yourself a disservice. I think the drawing and embroidery looks damn fine and a lot better than I could do!

Baban Cat said...

I must admit I'm better with a sharp implement than a blunt pencil. You should see what I can do with a knife!

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

Your embroidery is beautiful and I think the berries will set it off perfectly too!...
The brass swallow brooch is so pretty...I think another trip to Etsy is on the cards for me...
Hope you have a great weekend,
Susan x

cathouseprints said...

I love the drawing! The little birds are so charming as is the birdcage! I have often thought it would be cool to draw on fabric and then embroider it. Well done!

Lizzy Love said...

Thank you for the mention in your post! I have been absent the last couple of days I have to admit do to being overwhelmingly busy but I am doing all my catching up now. I think your embroidered drawing is absolutely lovely and you should keep it up! I would also like to mention that if you are serious about wanting to be able to draw then you must check out the book by Betty Edwards called Drawing with the Right Side of Your Brain. I am sure that anyone who reads and does the exercises in that book will come away being able to draw well!!!

Baban Cat said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments. This is exactly what I mean by the word supportive. I'll order the book. Watch this space.

cathouseprints said...

That is a good book! I have it, but haven't done the exercise. I don't know why, but every book I have (and I have many) that have exercises, find their way to the bottom of the book piles! Hmm.