Pages

Thursday 9 February 2012

February

In the poem
January brings the snow,
Makes our feet and fingers glow.
February brings the rain,
Thaws the frozen lake again.

Well, Sara Coleridge might have thought that in 1834 but I'm more inclined to go with the version by Michael Flanders.

January brings the snow
Makes your feet and fingers glow.


February's ice and sleet
Freeze the toes right off your feet

This week has brought all of that, ice, sleet, snow, wind, freezing temperatures. I'm so glad I live here. Continental Europe has been plunged into serious minus figures. Saturday brought this. Through the snow you can just make out the orange chest of a bullfinch.



Here he is in his finery. He didn't stick around long because he was sent packing by this little thug.


I don't know where robins have picked up the cute tag. They are the terrorists of the bird world and will fight any bird that encroaches their territory. The Victorians again probably because they looked good on those new fangled Christmas cards.


With this going on outside it was good to settle down in the warm and start a blanket. I like the way the self patterning wool worked out. It's got an almost 1940s feel to it. Luckily it wasn't 1840s or it would have been very wrong! Finished and listed today. You can find it here in my Etsy shop.


Derek our local weather man has threatened more tonight. He's never wrong, so keep warm!

5 comments:

SJ Egan - Fragment Designs said...

Robins ended up on Christmas cards I think partly because there is just so many of them here at this time of year. We have some that live here year round, but a bunch that migrate from Scandinavia to winter here, so buckets of them!

I miss having a garden and bird table with little visitors! Oh I need to get out of the city! But it's soooo cold! And we're due not snow but freezing rain this weekend!

Vic at Blossom and Snowflakes said...

Lovely blanket! I have another version about the robins..! I heard that postmen used to wear bright red coats to deliver the first Christmas cards and they became known as 'robins' or 'redbreasts'. Then they put the robins on the cards to represent the person who delivered it. Or something like that..:) Why they're considered cute though, I don't know!

Helen said...

I’d like to say how much I really enjoy your blog so I’m giving you a chance to pick up the Versatile Blogger award by visiting my blog at

http://helencrochet1.wordpress.com/

thanks

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

Hello Cat..Ooh, it is so cold out there, isn't it?...Love your photographs and your blanket in the self patterning wool looks wonderful...lovely colours,
Keep warm and have a good weekend!
Susan x

Lizzy Love said...

Sounds lovely in the house, I like the blanket, beautiful! The birds look lovely too, even if the Robin is a bully, at least it looks good doing it or something.... :)