Pages

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Wonderwool 2012

Yarn fanatics brought a huge crowd to Builth Wells last month for the annual Wonderwool.  The best part of it for me is an insight of the process from animal to garment. This year we had Blue Texels, alpacas and Shetlands. There were beautiful angora bunnies too but I stayed away from them for fear of wheezing. It's not a good look to be hugging on an inhaler. Not a good advert for them either.

I'm very focused when I go to these events. My only purchase was an Aran weight, organic wool and alpaca from Uppingham Yarns. It will make a great cowl for next winter. Although the way the weather has been I might start making it now.

The reason for this year's visit was to try my hand at dyeing. It's great fun getting messing but I'm sure that was not intended. We had plenty of time and space to try out different methods.


The final stages were carried out at home with a microwave. These wrapped up like a sausage hanks had to be cooked, then rinsed and put out to dry.



All the wools are organic. The pink and purple nearest are 4 ply Wensleydale. I love the way they shimmer and can't wait to knit them up. Any suggestions for one skein patterns?

I leave you with the real stars. In no particular order; Shetlands, alpaca (who look perpetually bored) and the lovely Blue Texel. Ahww!




6 comments:

Helen said...

I'm gutted that I couldn't go... next year we'll go together. I'll drive. Deal???

MysteriousCats Amigurumi Patterns said...

Looks all so interesting! And your yarns look lovely!

Bebby said...

Glad you had fun and learnt a new skill. The colours are fab!

Baban Cat said...

Deal!! But I'll drive. I have to go your way.

Anonymous said...

Wow this is so fab! The wool that you dyed looks amazing! And how lovely to see sheeps and alpacas, I love sheep so much, they make me feel happy inside :)

Lizzy Love said...

Looks like great fun!!!! I love the colors of the ones you died, I can't wait to see what you make out of them!!